COVID Letter 11/23/2020
November 23, 2020
Dear Families and Staff:
This letter is to inform you that an individual at Cerro Gordo Jr/Sr High School has tested positive for COVID-19. We are coordinating our efforts with the DeWitt-Piatt Bi-County Health Department to promptly identify and monitor individuals who have had recent contact with the COVID-19 positive individual to prevent further spread within our school and community. The health and safety of Cerro Gordo CUSD 100 students and staff is our highest priority, and we recognize the uncertainty and concern regarding the evolving coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. We are following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as well as the state and local health departments for best practices and procedures to protect everyone’s health.
To prevent further spread of the disease, Cerro Gordo CUSD 100 is taking the following steps:
☑Placing staff members and students who are identified as having prolonged close contact to the COVID-19 case in quarantine for 14 days. Close contacts will also receive a separate notification from the DeWitt-Piatt Bi-County Health Department.
☑Ongoing monitoring of students and staff for signs and symptoms of illness and evaluation of illness reports to promptly identify possible outbreaks.
☑Conducting a deep clean and disinfection of the areas impacted by potential exposure to the COVID-19 virus.
☑Other actions: Notifying families of students and staff of positive COVID-19 cases.
We will continue to enforce safe practices to prevent, promptly identify, and respond to potential COVID-19 cases, as follows:
• Students and staff who are ill with COVID-like symptoms will promptly be placed in a separate supervised area away from others until they can be sent home.
• Students are required to wear face masks or cloth face coverings at all times, as previously directed and per school policy.
• Staff are required to wear face coverings at all times while in contact with children and other staff in the facility.
• We are continuously sanitizing high-touch surfaces including door handles, stair rails, sink faucets, etc.
• We have removed plush toys and other toys that cannot be properly or frequently disinfected.
• We are teaching students the importance of face coverings, social distancing, and proper hand washing:
o Students are discouraged from sharing personal items, e.g., water bottles.
o Students are learning new ways to greet each other without touching as in handshakes, fist bumps, and high fives.
o Students are reminded to avoid touching their eyes, nose and mouth, and to cover coughs and sneezes.
o Students will be taught to wash their hands frequently and properly, following CDC guidelines on hand washing.
• As we receive more information from the Department of Public Health and other entities, we will implement additional recommendations and guidelines.
We are committed to providing your child and our staff with a safe and healthy environment. Thank you for your understanding and ongoing cooperation with our COVID prevention policies and procedures as we work to help protect your children, your families, and our staff and their families. For any questions or concerns, please contact us at (217) 763-5221.
1 Symptoms of COVID-19 include: fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea.
2 Severe symptoms of COVID-19 include: trouble breathing, persistent pain or pressure in the chest, new confusion, inability to wake or stay awake, bluish lips or face.
1 v.2 7/20/2020 Guidance is based on current knowledge and is subject to change.