Leading to Reading
Leading To Reading
We are pleased to describe a new reading skills program for students in grades K-2. This program was developed to ensure mastery of basic reading skills by all students.
· The program begins with diagnostic testing of all students in grades K-2 to determine the instructional skill group appropriate for each student.
· Students are placed in appropriate skill groups. Important note: your child’s total reading ability level may be higher or lower than his/her LTR skill group. Placement into a skill group is based on specific knowledge of phonic patterns, word parts such as prefixes, suffixes, etc.
· Every day for 30 minutes students will be instructed in the appropriate skill, practice the skill and will read materials that reinforce the skill they are learning.
· The grade level reading program (at a different time than LTR) will include literature and grade level comprehension skills.
· You will receive homework from your child’s LTR teacher for skill reinforcement at home. Practice at home is essential for successful progression through the skill groups.
· There will be 4 rotations throughout the year. You will be notified when your child moves from one skill group to the next.
· At the end of each rotation, students are tested for mastery.
· 100% mastery of each skill group test is necessary to progress to the next skill group. If a student does not have 100% mastery, he/she will repeat the skill group with another teacher.
Thank you for your support!
Cerro Gordo Teachers & Staff